Friday, February 27, 2009

Horse Sales

I went down to Oaklands Junction today to watch the horses being paraded in front of potential buyers before the Premier Yearling sales open Sunday 1st March.

My daughter Christine invited me as she knows how much her mum loves using her camera! So I thought I'd share some of the photos here with you. Only some because I took well over 200 and I don't want to bore you with them all, so this is just a sampling. Obviously the horse weren't all that thrilled about the day - some seemed to take exception!





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious--when people buy these horses, what do they use them for? Farming? Horse Racing? Is horse racing a sport over there? I hate seeing such a beautiful animal being used in such a way that causes it pain.

Thomases said...

You've never heard of Melbourne Cup Day Beverly? Horse racing is huge in our country. I didn't think these horses were in pain - they are yearlings so still quite young and not always willing to be led on a rope to be paraded in front of buyers. But they aren't in pain and are extremely well looked after. One of my daughters works with a stud that was present at this parade.

Horses are also used in farming, pony clubs, racing and anything else they might be used for in your country. They are a beautiful animal and treated well. Yes, horses may occasionally get injured in sporting activities but they can in any other activity too, same as their human owners.

Anonymous said...

That third picture? He sold for $150,000 - I promise, they're better looked after than the staff!