Friday, January 30, 2009

A guest at dinner time

We decided to have dinner on the back verandah tonight. The first time in a long time. It's been so hot for days and the evening air was starting to cool - more pleasant outside than in.

A couple of our cats came out to join us and immediately their attention was drawn to the bottom of a tree by the side. I looked but only could see a large rock and bushes so went back to my dinner. That is, until Graham noticed a possum scurrying up the tree. I quickly grabbed the cats and put them inside again and then grabbed my camera to get a shot.

This is a ringtailed possum who look scared. He probably came for a drink of water out of the bowl I keep filled up for him - the weather has been scorching and he probably couldn't wait till dark.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great Photo!

Anonymous said...

What a fun wildlife adventure to make your dinner memorable! Great photo.

Anonymous said...

I woke up one night in Northern California to an earie sound outside my window. When I opened the blinds I saw two glowing objects staring back at me - it was a small horror movie moment, lol!

Turned out it was a possum - I'd never seen one so close before. It was kind of cute.